Thursday, November 14, 2013

Virgin or Version which word is it?

The year the Disney  real people movie with Glenn Close, 101 dalmations, came out, I asked Merissa if the other grandma had taken her to see it.  She said "I saw that virgin".  I said "version", she said, "virgin- version whats the difference?"  A little more back and forth with the word and it is going to be a learning experience.

She was 6 at the time. So now to figure out how to explain the difference and meanings of virgin and version.

So I started," if you don't bite or eat the apple, it is a virgin".  A questioning look on the child's face.  "A toy you never take out of the box is a virgin". She gives me that same puzzled expression. "People who don't have sex are virgins". My opening words here are, "Mommy and Daddy aren't virgins they had you".  Now she just looks all worried, "what happened, were they married, did he hurt her?" I answer, "no honey they loved each other but never married and no, Daddy didn't hurt your Mommy."

 "I still don't understand" she say. So I start " Great grandpa isn't a virgin", I said. "Ohhh she says with all the confidence of a 6 year old, "I know about Great Papa, he was married to your mom, and Aunt Annette's mom and Jan Jan". As matter of fact statement as you can get from a 6 year old. That not impressed at all kind of answer from her.

She looks at me "But I still don't understand".  At this point I am grasping at straws to find words she will understand. So I start, "Merissa, you are virgin because you never had sex and grandma isn't." The look on her face was priceless, incredulous, she says, " YOU HAD SEX"??????? the most shocked expression on her face, I never expected. Well, I said, how do you think I had mommy and uncle Dale? "NOT SEX" she says, her eyes got big ( she didn't really know what sex was yet), "don't say anymore," she holds her hand up in front of my face, "it's my fault" she says, "I asked,". She wouldn't look at me, wouldn't let me talk all the way home. If I tried to say something, UP went the hand in my face.  I tied not to laugh. I would start to say something, and there was that little hand... she is 24 now.   I wish I had a video camera that day.

No I am no a great writer, if I take a breath, I put a comma.... 

©Saroya Poirier          November 14, 2013

No comments: